Monday, May 4, 2009

Exegesis

Let me start by saying this word is definitely one of those complicated words people use every once in a while. It is in the same line as the word hermeneutics. Exegesis' meaning refers to the way someone explains or interprets a text, especially the Bible. The word literally means to lead or bring out, thus it applies to bringing meaning out of the biblical passage. This is what we have to do in order to understand what the bible is talking about, and what it means to us today. Hermeneutics is the method, or the science of interpretation. It involves: looking at the author of the book and all of the information surrounding them, looking at the intended audience of the letter and any information surrounding their lives, looking at the cultural backgrounds of the time and the history, and learning to read the bible in the light of these things. Though this sounds complicated, I assure you it is not and I want to do what I can to help anyone who is interested learn how to understand the bible better as they read it. So, if anyone wants to learn how to do exegesis and the process of hermeneutics, I will be guiding you all through the process online here. But, you need to be willing to participate with me in the discussion. I will be posting the first part of it tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment